I can’t seem to sit still.
It doesn’t feel like it… The days are long but the years are short and stuff. But as I learn more about how the world really works, my values change too.
- I used to want to be super duper smart. Then dismissed intelligence as an obstacle to effectiveness. Now I realize I’m best capitalizing my intelligence while being effective.
- I used to think majority of people are stupid – Now I realize I am failing to communicate effectively.
- I still can’t decide if I want to be really rich or just be someone who really enjoys life, or if I could be both.
But one thing’s always remained the same:
I want to be really excellent, while NEVER taking myself too seriously.
Business should be fun.
That’s why I want to be a “mischief-maker.” Harry Potter’s Fred and George style. And I think people are so tired of the “Business is serious. Work is serious.” mentality too.
Here’s what I’ve been doing for my personal enjoyment on SoHelpful.
- End marketing emails with, “If you do, I will… show you a picture of my cat.”
Almost everyone replied with something about their own pets. We feel closer and more engaged with our customers.
- Sign Kevin’s emails with, Kevin “Focus or die” Dewalt
Here’s what someone replied to that, “Focus or Die Dewalt? That is hardcore. :)”
- Write a blog post about Bao Zi (Kevin’s cat)
6 people shared this “useless” blog post on Facebook. 4 on LinkedIn.
I love it. And I want to do more of these fun little gestures.
If growing up means having to take myself so seriously like everyone else, then I never want to grow up :D